Monday, June 8, 2009

This is me "running"...


It wasn't pretty and I'm feeling REALLY banged up today but I did a little (21km) jog yesterday for the first time in about 6 weeks! After a very controlled yet solid swim and bike I put the runners on and gave 'er a go.
Despite some rather poor turnover and serious over-striding - thanks for noticing Mark!, not too mention the lack of specific fitness - I survived and managed to salvage an 8th place finish amongst a strong pro field.
The Good:
I feel like the swim and bike are "there." I was pretty conservative for most of the first two legs in anticipation of less than optimal run prep. This race was a good confidence builder in that it shows I can hang with the big boys.
I also snuck in a little suffering lesson - you learn a lot when you suffer. That run yesterday had me suffering...but I got through it. I'll remember that in 12 weeks.
The Bad:
I feel like I could have been fighting for a podium spot. I was totally in the mix at the front of this race and prior to this setback I was running well (enough) to be able to stay up there. Similar to 2 weeks ago when I dropped out of the Oliver Olympic with a 4+ minute lead - it sucks to have to have to say: "would've, could've, should've." At some point it will be nice to just do it.
The Ugly:
C'mon this is the Okanagan Valley, nothing's ugly here! I can't wait for IMC!

3 comments:

Naomi said...

Wicked job Ian!

Glad to hear that your injury issue wasn't a stress fracture or tear.
It blows. Trust me. ;)

Good luck with all your training...now if only I could figure this whole "running" thing out!

Anonymous said...

awesome job Ian...so proud of my big brother!

MarkyV said...

ROCK ON IN 12 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!